Wanted: Hearing Voices Network Support Group Peer Facilitator
Closing: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 4:00 pm
ONE contract with The CI&I Peer Support Program (Voices and Visions)
Location of work: Vancouver
Duration of placement: 1 year with potential to renew
Rate of Pay: $15 per hour
The Vancouver Voices and Visions Group is a peer-led support group based on the International Hearing Voices Network. Its aim is to be a place where people who hear voices, see visions or have other unusual sensory experiences can give and receive support, share techniques for living well with their experiences and/or explore the meaning those experiences have for them. This group is facilitated by peers who support the smooth functioning of the group and make Hearing Voices Network resources available to participants.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Set-up of room
- Facilitate support group meetings – ensuring meetings run smoothly
- Be open to a range of ways of understanding experiences
- Ensure everyone has a chance to speak
- Draw on Hearing Voices Network resource materials in discussions and make these resources available to participants
- Share personal experience for the benefit of the group or individuals
- Attend facilitator team meetings as required
Skills and Abilities Required
- Lived experience of hearing voices, visions or having other unusual sensory experiences
- Prior experience with group facilitator training and facilitation of a group is an asset, but not required
- If you don’t have prior group facilitation training, you must be willing to attend a training
- All applicants must be willing to attend an orientation to the International Hearing Voices Network.
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Ability to attend sessions consistently and reliably
- Successful completion of a criminal record check (organized by us)
We have a number of groups running at different sites in Vancouver on different days and some evenings. You could choose which sites you wish to help with depending on your needs and ours. You would be part of a rotating team of facilitators. Facilitation is done in pairs. Each session you facilitate requires a two hour time commitment.
Start Date: ASAP
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Renea Mohammed, Peer Support Program,
Consumer Involvement & Initiatives
Vancouver Coastal Health
#200-520 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H5
(Telephone 604-708-5276; Faxes accepted to 604-874-7661)
Please do not email your application.
No later than : Thursday, February 28, 2019, 4 pm