NOTE: This page is under construction and will be updated with more resources shortly! In the mean time, please visit our general resources page.
This page is intended to provide helpful resources for allies, friends, and family members who are supporting someone else or who are wondering how they can act as allies generally.
Talking about hearing voices
Personal experiences, documentaries and interviews:
These videos and recordings reflect a range of different experiences with hearing voices, seeing visions, and other unusual perceptions or beliefs.
- Mad Pride: The Fight to Reclaim Mental Health is a short Vice documentary about Mad Pride and hearing voices in Aotearea New Zealand. It also discusses a Māori understanding of the experience.
- Madness Radio’s interview with researcher Nev Jones discusses her personal experiences with psychosis, perspectives on research, and the many ways people’s experiences can vary.
- Beyond Possible: How the Hearing Voices Approach Transforms Lives is a 22 minute documentary describing firsthand accounts of hearing voices and the Hearing Voices Movement.
- Surviving Schizophrenia is a 28 minute documentary following three experts in mental health around the world as they discuss their experiences of recovery.
- The UK mental health charity Mind has several videos about personal experiences with hearing voices, including Hearing voices and prison | David’s story and Hearing voices and hallucinations | Juno’s story.
- Intervoice has a list of social media cards for World Hearing Voices Day with quotes from people who hear voices describing a range of personal experiences.
- Voice Collective has created A Little Insight, a short film by young people who hear voices about their experiences.
- Hearing Voices Others Can’t: How A Growing Movement Fights Mental Health Stigma is a short NBC News documentary about the Hearing Voices Movement.
- Sick or Gifted? Bridging the Connection Between Mental Health Issues and Spirituality was an ISPS-US keynote address by Gogo Ekhaya Esima discussing mental health issues from a spiritual perspective.
- Radiolab’s Voices in Your Head podcast episode discusses the topic of hearing voices in relation to the psychology of inner speech.
General community resources in BC:
- BC 211 allows you to search for community services and resources like shelters, medical care, financial assistance, and crisis support in your area.
- Health Justice has a list of resources to help you find information or legal help if you are supporting someone who is detained under the Mental Health Act.